Sunday, April 21, 2013

The power of honey



Honey is known all over the world for its many healing properties. The word honey comes from ancient Hebrew and means “enchant”.  Honey has been used as a sweetener for baking and used in beverages and is highly valued for its healing abilities.

Honey can be used as an alternative treatment for ailments such as indigestion, coughs, colds, insomnia, headaches, skin wounds and many other uses. The natural property in honey aids in replenishing energy, enhancing physical stamina and helps those that are weakened by illness.

Treatment with honey is called “apitherapy” which is using bees and the products produced by the bees as a form of treatment for various ailments.

 Using honey as an antiseptic on an open wound not only helps heal, but kills the bacteria due to its sugar content.

Honey can provide a quick pick-me-up by providing energy. The simple sugars are quickly absorbed into the digestive tract for that surge of energy but be aware because there are 64 calories in one tbsp...

 Use honey as a relaxing bath to sooth and calm you and it will also help with insomnia.

 Honey can be used for treatment of hay fever, asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory ailments.  Working with herbs, honey can proved a natural cure to ailments and eliminate taking some prescription drugs.

Honey’s potentials are endless with the main ingredients being fructose and glucose. Other ingredients include water, pollen, organic acids, enzymes and a variety of proteins.

 If using honey as an antiseptic, spread the honey directly over the open cut and cover with a sterile bandage.

For colds, coughs, bronchitis, or other minor aliments mix 1 tsp. of chopped fresh Thyme in a little honey mix and take it orally to help sooth inflamed lungs and throat.

Honey can be used by older children and adults but don not give to infants. The honey contains a type of bacteria called “botulism spores” The spores are dormant and can survive without nutrients. An infant does not have a mature digestive system to destroy the spores unlike an older child or adult.

Toxic honey can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting and other symptoms. Usually ingesting natural unprocessed honey sold by small farmers that have few hives can be the culprits. Purchasing commercial honey will safe guard you from toxic honey since the honey process has been diluted with the blending of several types of honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment