Friday, May 30, 2014

Conjunctivitis- Pink Eye


I have been writing about alternative medicine for quite some time....and I am hoping that some of you have learned or enjoyed reading about it, and that you could use it. I have not gotten any comments....so I am not sure that my readers are benefiting and or enjoying what I am posting. I truly believe that we could benefit with going back to nature and get off medications. Please leave me a comment if you would like to read something a little different or if I should continue on this vein.   Thanks

Everyone is aware of conjunctivitis (pink eye) - this is a inflammation of the outer covering of the white part
 of the eye. The eye looks “pink” when you have conjunctivitis because the blood vessels are dilated.
Pink eye usually has a discharge and is rather uncomfortable however, vision is not affected. This condition is
 either bacterial or viral and sometimes can even be an allergy. Viral conjunctivitis is more common and can last
 several weeks and can accompany a cold or respiratory infection.
If pink eye is viral, antibiotics will not help and treatment usually is cold compresses or decongestants can be used,
 and just let it run its course.
If pink eye is bacterial, it can be treated with a variety of antibiotics, such as eye drops or ointments’ which will
 cure the infection within a day or two.  Conjunctivitis is very contagious so there should be no sharing of towels,
 or pillowcases and your hands should be washed often.

Eyebright- is an anti-inflammatory herb that works quite well with eye irritations- just take 3 tsp of dried leaves, a dash of salt in one cup of boiling water...strain...apply with compress or use as a soothing eye rinse.

No comments:

Post a Comment